MOTIVATIONAL INTERVIEWING – INTO PRACTICE (MI-IP) SERIES
Would you like to enhance your current knowledge and also practice how to effectively use Motivational Interviewing (MI)? This series will provide a 20-hour curriculum that covers topics and provides interactive practice opportunities essential to the development and/or refinement of MI skills and relational style. Emphasis is placed on the “intentional use” of MI skills to identify a change goal, resolve ambivalence and increase motivation for change.
Every Tuesday, July 9 – September 3, 2019, 10:00–11:30 am (Mountain) / 11:00-12:30 am (Central)
- Demonstrate evoking Change Talk
- Discern between intentional and non-directional use of MI skills
- Describe the relationship between the process of change, ambivalence and MI
- State the reason(s) for choosing and using a specific MI skill at a particular moment
- Conduct a personal assessment and develop an individualized MI Strengths & Growth Opportunities plan
- Behavioral Health, Substance Use Disorders, and Recovery Service providers located in the Mountain Plains ATTC region (HHS Region 8).
- In order to be eligible and register for the MI-IP Series, applicants are required to complete the 4-hour, free, self-paced, online course Tour of MI: An Interprofessional Road Map for Behavior Change and submit an electronic copy of your certificate of completion during the registration process.
PARTICIPANT COMMITMENT AND EXPECTATIONS
- Prior to the first session on July 9th view a 20-minute video tutorial on how to use and maximize the videoconferencing platform
- Attend a live one-hour Orientation to Technology Session on Tuesday, July 9th, 10:00pm MT/11:00pm CT
- Commit to 8-weeks of training, for 1.5 hours weekly on scheduled series days/times and complete ONE hour of weekly learning activities
- Access to appropriate technology to utilize online videoconferencing platform (i.e., internet connection, built-in or USB webcam, laptop/tablet, built-in/USB/Bluetooth speakers & microphone)
- Be prepared and actively engage while on camera 90% of the scheduled series time
There is no cost to participate in a series.
The first 40 registrants will receive a scholarship that covers the entire $350 cost of participation. As grant sponsored scholarship recipients and in order to receive continuing education hours, it is expected participants will view the 20-minute video tutorial; attend the live technology training; be prepared for and join each session; and actively engage in group discussions. Due to limited enrollment, if you cannot commit to the full participant requirements, please defer this registration opportunity to others.
Please Note: Registrants enrolled in this series are required to attend the first two sessions on July 9th & 16th. If you cannot attend these sessions, you will forfeit your space. In addition, it is expected that participants will have access to the appropriate technology by Week 3 (July 23rd) in order to fully participate and be on camera at least 90% of the time. This is not a webinar series and active participation to gain/improve skills is required.
If you have questions, please email the MPATTC Staff at email@example.com or by phone at 775-784-6265 or 866-617-2816 (toll-free).
Continuing Education – The series has been approved for a total of 21 contact hours through the National Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC), International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC), and the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) ACEP No. 6492. No credit will be awarded for non-attendance or partial attendance.
The knowledge and skills learned should be applied within the framework of any applicable Operating and/or Credentialing regulations in your State of practice.
TOUR OF MI CEUS: For $20.00, participants can earn 4.0 NAADAC Continuing Education Units (CEUs), 4.0 NASW Social Work Continuing Education Contact Hours, 4.0 Hours CHES Continuing Education (for Certified Health Education Specialists), or 4.0 Hours Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Credits. For no charge, participants can take the Tour of MI course and earn a FREE Certificate of Completion.