Motivational Interviewing – Into Practice (MI-IP)
Would you like to enhance your current knowledge and practice on how to effectively use Motivational Interviewing (MI)? This online Enhanced Professional Learning (EPL) interactive series will cover topics and provide interactive practice opportunities essential to the development and/or refinement of MI skills and relational style. Emphasis is placed on the “intentional use” of MI skills to identify a change goal, resolve ambivalence, and increase motivation for change.
Every Friday, May 7 – July 2, 2021, 10:30 am – 12:00 pm Mountain/11:30 am – 1:00 pm Central
At the end of the MI-IP Enhanced Professional Learning Series, participants will be able to:
- Describe the relationship between the process of change, ambivalence, and Motivational Interviewing
- State at least three reason(s) for choosing and using a specific MI skill at a particular moment
- Explain how to evoke Change Talk from an individual
- Compare and contrast intentional and non-directional use of MI skills
- Discuss the process for conducting a personal assessment and developing an individualized MI Strengths & Growth Opportunities plan
Work in the behavioral health, substance use disorders, and recovery support services field located in the Mountain Plains ATTC region (HHS Region 8)
Participant Commitment & Expectations
- To be eligible and register for the MI-IP Series, applicants are required to first complete the 4-hour, free self-paced, online course Tour of MI: An Interprofessional Road Map for Behavior Change and submit the electronic copy of your Certificate of Completion during the registration process
- Attend a live 1-hour Orientation on Friday, May 7 at 10:30 am MT/11:30 am CT
- Commit to 8-weeks of training, for 1.5 hours weekly on scheduled series day/time and complete 1-hour of weekly learning activities
- Access to appropriate technology to utilize online videoconferencing platform (i.e., an internet connection, built-in or USB webcam, built-in/USB/Bluetooth speakers and microphone)
- Be prepared and actively engage while on camera 90% of the scheduled series time
- Amy Shanahan, Ph.D.
- Elizabeth Sysak, Ph.D.
There is No Cost to Participate in a Series:
The first 35 registrants will receive a waiver that covers the entire $350 cost to participate. Once the 35 spots have been filled, registration will be closed. Due to limited enrollment, if you cannot commit to the full requirements, please defer this opportunity to others.
Registrants enrolled in this series are required to attend the first two weeks. If you cannot attend these sessions, you will forfeit your spot to attend. In addition, it is expected that participants will have access to the appropriate technology to fully participate and be on camera at least 90% of the time. This is not a webinar series and active participation is required to gain/improve skills.
The series has been approved for a total of 21 contact hours (20-hours content instruction and 1-hour orientation session) through the National Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC), International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC), and the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) ACEP No. 6492. No credit will be awarded for non-attendance or partial attendance. The knowledge and skills learned should be applied within the framework of any applicable Operating and/or Credentialing regulations in your State of practice.
Motivational Interviewing Individual Coaching Opportunity:
Coaching in specific Motivational Interviewing (MI) approaches will be available to participants following completion of the MI-EPL series. Basic MI concepts and skills to resolve ambivalence and conduct intentional conversations about change will be featured. The MI Individual Coaching opportunity is intended to help build confidence and practical MI knowledge and skills to support and address the behavioral factors impacting client change.
- Individuals that complete the MI-IP EPL series will be invited to participate in 3 coaching sessions (30-40 minutes in length) and will complete a pre-assessment to determine individualized coaching topics.
- Most sessions are individual. However, participants can be grouped in pairs or trios for effective interaction if preferred.
- More details will be provided during the MI-IP EPL series.
If you have questions, please email the MPATTC Staff at email@example.com or by phone at 775-784-6265 or 866-617-2816 (toll-free).